Chili with an Italian twist that’s packed with cannellini beans, juicy fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic and spicy Italian sausage for a kick!
Here’s what’s in the Italian Chili:
- 1 pound Italian hot sausage
- 1 pound Italian mild sausage
- 2 cups diced white or yellow onion
- 10 chopped garlic cloves (more or less to your liking)
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 5 cans (15 ounces) cannellini white kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Dash of crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Garlic bread, Italian bread, or bread sticks to really make it a complete meal!
1. Chop garlic cloves and put aside for later.
2. In a large skillet combine Italian hot sausage with mild sausage and brown. When browned remove from heat and set aside for later use.
3. In a large dutch oven add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add diced onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped garlic and tomato paste and continue sautéing for 1 minute, stirring often.
5. Add dry red wine and stir for 1 minute while unsticking any small brown pieces from the bottom of the pot.
6. Add chicken broth and stir.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add a dash of crushed red pepper.
9. Add fire roasted diced tomatoes. Stir.
10. Add rinsed cannellini beans. Stir.
11. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
12. Add more salt and pepper to taste. I like things saltier. Some people love things hotter. If so you can add more red pepper flakes too.
13. Add browned Italian sausage.
14. Bring to a boil on medium heat again. Then cover, reduce temperature to low and let simmer for one hour.
15. Drink the rest of the open red wine!
16. I like to garnish the Italian chili with shredded parmesan cheese and serve it with garlic bread. Enjoy!
Keywords: Italian Chili, Chili, Chili Recipe, Chili Cookoff, Soups, Soup, Soups and stews, Fall Soups, Winter Soups, Sweater Weather Food