2020 NFL Coaching Carousel Recap
- The Carolina Panthers name former Baylor head coach Matt Rhule as their next head coach. He replaces Ron Rivera who the Panthers fired in December after nine seasons with the team. Ron Rivera was then hired as the new head coach of the Washington Redskins.
- The Panthers hire former LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady to replace Norv Turner as their next offensive coordinator. Joe Brady helped lead LSU to a National Championship and was named “The Top Assistant in College Football” last season. Before working at LSU Brady worked as offensive assistant under Sean Payton for two season with the New Orleans Saints. His previous relationship with Teddy Bridgewater may prove to be very valuable with NFL teams off-season’s disrupted by the corona virus.
- The Chicago Bears hire Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator.
- The Chicago Bears hire John DeFilippo as their quarterbacks coach.
- The Cleveland Browns name former Vikings offensive cooordinator Kevin Stefanski as the teams new head coach. Stefanski replaces Freddie Kitchens as the Browns new head coach. Freddie Kitchens is now the New York Giants tight end coach.
- Cleveland hires former Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt as their new offensive coordinator.
- The Browns hire Bill Callahan as their offensive line coach. He is considered one of the top O-Line coaches in the NFL. This could have a big positive impact on Cleveland’s running game including fantasy football players Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt.
- The Cowboys fire Jason Garrett after nine years as head coach in Dallas.
- Former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy is announced as the next Dallas Cowboys head coach. They will keep Kellen Moore as the teams offensive coordinator.
- Broncos fire offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello.
- Former New York Giants head coach Pat Shurmur was hired as offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.
- Jacksonville fires offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.
- Former Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden was hired as offensive coordinator for the Jaguars.
- Former Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey comes out of retirement to be the next offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins. He replaces Chad O’Shea who was fired by the Dolphins in December after just one season. Gailey previously coached Miami quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick when he played for the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets. The reuniting of Gailey and Fitzpatrick could mean fantasy magic for wide receivers Devante Parker and Albert Wilson as Gailey’s offenses are typically heavy on three-and-four wide receiver sets.
- Vikings officially name Gary Kubiak as their new offensive coordinator. He replaces Kevin Stefanski who accepted the Cleveland Browns head coaching position.
- Minnesota announces Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer as co-defensive coordinators.
New York Giants
- The New York Giants hire Joe Judge as their 19th head coach. Judge has been coaching with the New England Patriots for the last 8 seasons. In 2019 he served as the Patriots special teams coordinator and wide receivers coach.
- Giants hire former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett as their new offensive coordinator.
- Former Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens has been hired as the New York Giants tight end coach.
- The Washington Redskins hire fired Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera as their next head coach. Rivera replaces Jay Gruden who Washington fired in October after the team got off to a 0-5 start. Jay Gruden was then hired as the new offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Washington hires Scott Turner as their next offensive coordinator. He is the son of longtime NFL coach Norv Turner. Scott Turner previously coached with Ron Rivera and his father in Carolina.