2020 NFL Coaching Carousel Recap
During the off-season it can be tough to stay on top of the revolving NFL coaching carousel. Use this recap to instantly get up to speed on your favorite fantasy players & NFL teams coaching changes.
Check back when it’s convenient for you. I’ll update this article daily staying on top of the coaching merry-go-round so you don’t have to!
The reference guide is sorted by NFL franchise.
Ladies Love Fantasy Sports is an Amazon Associates, and earns from qualifying purchases through recommended links in this article.
- The Carolina Panthers name former Baylor head coach Matt Rhule their next head coach. He replaces Ron Rivera who the Panthers fired in December after nine seasons. Rivera was then hired as the new head coach of the Washington Redskins.
- The Panthers hire former LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady to replace Norv Turner as their next OC. Brady helped lead LSU to a National Championship & was named “The Top Assistant in College Football” last season. Before working at LSU, Brady worked under Sean Payton for two season with the Saints. His previous relationship with Teddy Bridgewater may prove to be very valuable with NFL teams off-season’s being disrupted by the corona virus.
- The Bears hire Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator.
- Chicago hires John DeFilippo as their quarterbacks coach.
- The Browns name former Vikings offensive cooordinator Kevin Stefanski the teams new head coach. Stefanski replaces Freddie Kitchens. Kitchens is now the New York Giants tight end coach.
- Cleveland hires former Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt as their new offensive coordinator.
- The Browns hire Bill Callahan as their offensive line coach. He is considered one of the top O-Line coaches in the NFL. This could have a big positive impact on Cleveland’s running game including fantasy football players Nick Chubb & Kareem Hunt.
- The Cowboys fire Jason Garrett after nine years as head coach in Dallas. Garrett is then hired as the new offensive coordinator of the New York Giants.
- Former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy is announced as the next Dallas Cowboys head coach. They will keep Kellen Moore as the teams offensive coordinator.
- Broncos fire offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello.
- Former New York Giants head coach Pat Shurmur was hired as offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.
- Jacksonville fires offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.
- Former Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden was hired as offensive coordinator for the Jaguars.
- After a disappointing season the Los Angeles Rams fire defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. They hire Brandon Staley to replace Phillips as their new defensive coordinator. Staley previously worked under Vic Fangio with the Chicago Bears & Denver Broncos.
- Los Angeles hires Kevin O’Connell as their new offensive coordinator. O’Connell was previously the OC with the Washington Redskins. In previous seasons head coach Sean McVay called plays for the Rams. It’s unclear at this time if McVay will truly relinquish the play calling duties, or if it’s just a title for O’Connell.
- The Rams hire John Bonamego as their new special teams coordinator. He has coached in the NFL for over 17 years, and served as the special teams coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins, and most recently Detroit Lions.
- Los Angeles has promoted Sophie Luoto to Director of Football Operations making her the highest position held by a woman in the Rams organization’s history.
- Former Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey comes out of retirement to be the next OC for the Dolphins. He replaces Chad O’Shea who was fired by Miami in December after just one season. Gailey previously coached Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick when he played for the Bills & Jets. The reuniting of Gailey & Fitzpatrick could mean fantasy magic for wide receivers Devante Parker & Albert Wilson as Gailey’s offenses are typically heavy on three-and-four wide receiver sets.
- Vikings officially name Gary Kubiak as their new offensive coordinator. He replaces Kevin Stefanski who accepted the Cleveland Browns head coaching position.
- Minnesota announces Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer as co-defensive coordinators.
- The New York Giants hire Joe Judge as their 19th head coach. He replaces Pat Shurmur who was fired in December, and has since been hired as the OC for Denver. Judge has been coaching with New England for the last 8 seasons. In 2019 he served as the Patriots special teams coordinator & wide receivers coach.
- Giants hire former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett as their new offensive coordinator.
- Former Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens has been hired as the New York Giants tight end coach.
- San Francisco has signed head coach Kyle Shanahan to a six-year deal through 2025 season.
- The Washington Redskins hire fired Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera as their next head coach. Rivera replaces Jay Gruden who Washington fired in October after the team got off to a 0-5 start. Jay Gruden was then hired as the new offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Washington hires Scott Turner as their next offensive coordinator. He is the son of longtime NFL coach Norv Turner. Scott Turner previously coached with Ron Rivera and his father in Carolina.